During the tour to the Inca Trail will pass through different valleys; climate and height vary as the days go by. We will walk through areas of considerable height as Abra Warmiwañusca located at 4200 masl, with persistent winds and low temperature. Also we will walk through tropical forests at an altitude of 2400 m where the temperature is warmer and the rains are constant at certain times.
A detailed map of the climate is observed for months:
The Inca Trail has two tour options:
The Classic Inca Trail 4 Days / 3 Nights that start at Piscakucho (2800 m) and the highest point is Warmiwañusca – Dead Woman’s Pass (4200 m) during this walk will pass through different valleys with climatic variations from cold to warm.
The other is a Short Inca Trail 2 Days / 1 Night begins at Chachabamba (2250 m) and the highest point is the Intipunku (2720 m), during the walk the weather is warm in the dry season and in the rainy season cloudy and warm.
The climate varies by month, some presence of rain, sunny days, cloudy days, cold nights; then we detail the climate of the Inca Trail per month.
- The month of February is impossible to book the Inca Trail because the Peruvian government closes this month for maintenance and improvement to the route.
- In the months of January and March are persistent rains mostly at night, the days are overcast however there are nice days and sunny, if we have good luck.
- The months of April, November and December; in April the rainy season ends and presents mild rainfall and the days are very nice; while in the months of November and December the rainy season begins and it will appear not very persistent rains but the days will be pleasant.
- During the months of May and October the weather is warm and dry with little presence of rain especially at night.
- The months of June, July, August and September are undoubtedly the best months to do the Inca Trail during the day is clear and you can clearly see the landscapes, the days are freshest however the nights are cold in the highlands.
Now it’s just your decision on which month do the Inca Trail and enjoy your adventure among the ancient mountains that witnessed the greatness of the Inca Empire.
Planning your trip to the Inca Trail is one of the essential steps to enjoy an unforgettable experience.