The passport is a fundamental document to make the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Without this it is not possible to purchase the tour. It is also necessary to present it during the route. What to do in case of theft or loss of this document? Learn more about the use of the passport during the most famous trekking route in Peru.
Although the passport is an essential document to make the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, the identity document is also a valid document. This especially with visitors from Latin American countries that only require an identity document to enter the territory of Peru. Tourists from North America, Europe, Asia and Oceania require a passport.
The purchase of the Inca Trail tour
- The Inca Trail is only done with a tour organized by a tourism agency.
- It is the tourism agency that manages the permits required to carry out this hiking route.
- The purchase of the tour is done online, so the tourist must reveal his passport number. Only then will the tourism agency be able to register your entrance to the Inca Trail.
- When you visit Cusco and start the Inca Trail route, they will ask for your passport. The data on your document must match those registered by the tourism agency.
- In case the numbers do not match the authorities of the place, they will not allow the walk to start.
- It is not possible to get another permit at the moment, since it has to be reserved months in advance.
If I don’t have a passport, can I make a reservation?
- The identity document, or even the valid university card, are valid documents to do the Inca Trail.
- Consider that the document you enter when making your reservation must be shown at the Inca Trail Entrance Control, this document must be physical. Photocopies and / or photos are not accepted.
What happens if I have an expired passport?
- If you have an expired passport on its expiration date, then you will have to renew it before doing the Inca Trail.
- On the other hand, you can make a travel reservation with your old passport number. When applying for a new passport you must request that your old passport be returned to you, most countries do.
- If this is the case, upon entering the Inca Trail you will be asked to present both the new and the old passports.
- If you do not, you will not be allowed to start the trek and your trip will be canceled without the option of claims and without any type of refund.
- A photocopy of your old passport will NOT be accepted, you must carry your original old passport.
What if my passport was stolen?
- Cases of passport theft can prevent the tourist from making the Inca Trail.
- The tourist who was the victim of theft must process his new passport as soon as possible. Then, you must state (by email) that you were the victim of theft of your passport to the tourism agency with which you contracted the Inca Trail tour.
- A second option is to file a police report in the respective jurisdiction. The passport number must appear on the police report. This document could serve as support in the event of a last minute emergency.
More information about the passport on the Inca Trail
- The passport is not only used to register the entrance to the Inca Trail. In addition, it is necessary to make the purchase of the ticket to Machu Picchu.
- The passport must be in good condition. That is, with all data visible and a legible photo.
- The Inca Trail offers discounts for university students. In these cases, it is necessary to carry the valid university card in addition to the passport.
- The purchase of the tour to the Inca Trail must be done online (through the website of a tourism agency). Due to the high demand, it is recommended to make the purchase 6 or 7 months before.
By Inca Trail Machu Picchu - Last updated, 28-05-2021