The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is the most famous hiking route in Peru. It was built by the Incas themselves hundreds of years ago so it is protected by the Peruvian State. To cross this route, the tourist must find availability several months in advance. Here is the current and updated availability of this famous trek that leads to Machu Picchu.
- How to check the availability of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?
- Is the Inca Trail open all year round?
- How many spaces are available on the Inca Trail?
- How long does it take for the available spaces to be finished?
- What to do if I don’t find availability?
- Since when can I get availability for the Inca Trail 2022?
- Frequent questions
How to check the availability of the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?
1.Select the type of route you want: 4-day Inca Trail or 2-day Inca Trail.
2.Select the month and day of your visit.
3.If there is availability (’50’ means there are fifty spaces available) click and continue with the reservation.
This information is provided courtesy of the Regional Directorate of Culture of Cusco.
We offer different alternatives of hiking the Inca roads, see Tours Inca Trail Machu Picchu.
5.0 (+ 100). Customer Testimonials.
Is the Inca Trail open all year round?
Both the 4-day Inca Trail and the short 2-day version are open every day of the year except for February. That month, the rainiest of the year, cleaning work is carried out on the route.
How many spaces are available on the Inca Trail?
Because the route is protected by the Peruvian State, only 500 people are allowed each day. Of this number, 200 are tourists and the rest are visitor support personnel such as cooks, porters, cooks, guides and more.
The 2-day Inca Trail offers 120 free spaces each day. Because this route is not as requested as the 4-day Inca Trail, it is possible to get availability with only a few days in advance.
How long does it take for the available spaces to be finished?
The two hundred free spaces per day are reserved well in advance. Due to this, it is recommended to reserve a free space for the Inca Trail 6 months in advance or even more.
The 2-day Inca Trail, on the other hand, can be booked two or three days in advance. I can even get a reservation the same day.
What to do if I don’t find availability?
In case you do not find availability of the 4-day Inca Trail, definitely the best option is to do other similar hiking routes, such as the 5-day Salkantay trek.
This hiking route is recognized as the second best hiking route in Cusco, after the 4-day Inca Trail. The Salkantay trek can be booked 2 or 3 weeks in advance, without problems. The route is a bit more challenging than the Inca Trail.
Other good options are: the Lares trek of 4 days, the Huchuy Qosqo trek of 3 days or the Inca Jungle tour of 4 days.
Since when can I get availability for the Inca Trail 2022?
The availability of the Inca Trail of 4 days 2022 is valid from 2021. The same happens with the Inca Trail of 2 days.
1) Is there an age limit?
No, anyone can do the Inca Trail, both in its 4-day and 2-day versions. However, both adventures are not recommended for children under the age of 8 and adults over the age of 65.
2) Is the availability shown here the same as on other web pages?
Yes. The availability shown here is the same as on other websites. This is the official availability calendar.
3) Can I find availability of the Inca Trail once in Cusco?
No. The 4-day Inca Trail cannot be purchased in Cusco. On the other hand, the 2-day Inca Trail can be purchased once in Cusco, with only a few days in advance.
4) Can I only book the Inca Trail online?
Yes. The 4-day Inca Trail, due to the high demand for spaces, can only be booked online. The 2-day Inca Trail, on the other hand, can be purchased in person.
5) Can I get availability of the 4-day Inca Trail for 2023?
Yes. The purchase of the 4-day Inca Trail will be available by 2023. You can make your reservation from the end of 2022.
6) Why is it so difficult to find availability for the 4-day Inca Trail?
This route is considered the best in Cusco. Tourists from all over the world make reservations well in advance. Only then can you find availability.
7) What is the high season of tourism in Cusco? Why is it more difficult to get availability of the Inca Trail at that time?
The high season of tourism is the time of year when most visitors arrive in Cusco. It starts in May and ends in September. Therefore, in those months there are more tourists who do the Inca Trail. To get availability for that day, the reservation must be made 6 or 7 months in advance.
8) And when is the low season? Can I get availability for those days more easily?
The low tourist season is the time of year when fewer visitors arrive in Cusco. It starts in October and ends in April. Therefore, in those months there are more opportunities to get availability. The reservation must be made 4 or 5 months in advance.
By Inca Trail Machu Picchu - Last updated, 21-04-2022
Interested in the Inca Trail? Know more about Information Inca Trail!
- Inca Trail: Is there surveillance on the route?
- Inca Trail for different types of people
- Inca Trail Fitness, exercise and heart rate
- All about the rules on the Inca Trail
- What is the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu?
- Machu Picchu, the final destination of the Inca Trail